Friday 25 September 2009

Umming and Ahhhrrring

Do I or don't I...not this time, it was a snap descision to escape for along weekend and visit a friend in the Murrary Riverland, Renmark and experience a destination I had never been too.


Having a travel business, there tends to be the hype that I should be jumping on a plane and travelling overseas on a journey of discovery at regular intervals.  Yes, this was a plane journey but only for an hour, it did involve Virgin Blue next time I'd consider Rex for the convenience of checking in without queueing - I hear the planes a smaller, but hey, the thrill of the journey.

It was actually a great novelty embarking on an inland Australian getaway. Harry, my friend, was great taking me to sites to experience the parched orche sands, bracken like shrubbery, stunning gum trees, ferry crossings and of course wineries - Banrock Station is a great winery that puts monies back into sustaining the surrounding wetlands - and tasty foods.  On our drives we stopped at Cammies Antiques, where I purchased a little set of whisky glasses - thinking more in the line they'll be used for liquors, a second hand book shop where I was able to purchase a book of my favourite travelling novelist W. Somerset Maugham.

There was so much more we experienced in our days of driving, it's amazing what you can fit into a weekend when you're away from home.  The town was a buzz the local Renmark Rovers won the footy grandfinal...oh, the footy season!  It was all fun and great to be away experiencing a destination different to my beautiful coastal surrounds.  

"When I read a book I seem to read it with my eyes only, but now and then i come across a passage, perhaps only a phrase, which has a meaning for me, and it becomes part of me"
- W.Somerset Maugham 'Of Human Bondage'

No comments:

Post a Comment

We would love to hear your thoughts or enquiries...